Is drinking green tea before bed good for your health? There have been two different opinions about it. Some people say that it is good for you while the others say that they won’t recommend such a thing. We know that green tea is one of the healthiest types of tea in this world. So, what can you expect from it?
The Basic Understanding
Some people do enjoy a good cup of warm milk before going to bed, simply because it somehow creates a soothing effect. It is warm and fulfilling – and you can expect yourself feeling all warm and fuzzy when you are drowsy to slumber. Well, some people replace the warm milk with the warm green tea, claiming that drinking green tea before bed is actually good for their overall well being, health, and also sleeping quality. You are probably wondering whether it is best for you to have the green tea before bed or in the morning. Well, in reality, both are just the same. For some people, having the tea before bed can actually improve their sleeping quality. However, you should also remember that not everyone is the same. Some people may experience improvement when they consume the tea before bed but it doesn’t always mean that the same thing will apply to you. Try it first and see how it works for you. If it turns out okay, you can proceed. But if it turns out bad for you, then you should stop it right away. It depends on your condition, really, and how your body responds to the chemical contents from the green tea.
The Major Benefits
The fuss about the benefits of drinking green tea before bed is related to the natural contents of the tea itself. The tea is zero calorie, provided that you don’t add the sugar. It has the unique characteristics of tangy and rather bitter taste that may not suitable for everyone. However, this type of tea is packed with loads of nutritional value, such as:
- The amino acid L-theanine
- Alkaloids and antioxidants, which can fight off the free radicals and prevent early aging
- High level of chromium, zinc, manganese, and selenium, the important minerals needed by the body
- Various types of vitamins, such as vitamin K, A, E, D, H, B5, and C
- EGCG (Epigallocatechin 3 gallate, a type of antioxidant which is stronger than vitamin E or C
Here are some of the general benefits of drinking green tea before bed:
- Warm and restful sleep that will support the body’s rejuvenation process to repair and build the organs. Don’t be surprised if you may feel better – even healthier – when you wake the next morning.
- Blood sugar management and regulation. Because the body doesn’t have any fuel consumption at night, the blood sugar level often drops, triggering the production of cortisol hormone (which is the stress hormone) and the reduction of melatonin level (which is the sleep hormone). In the end, you may not be able to have such a restful sleep. But when you take the green tea, it helps the body to manage your blood sugar so it won’t drop or spike drastically. It will help you sleep better.
- Body detox improvement. Thanks to the natural vitamins and antioxidants, the tea will attack the free radicals and detoxify the body thoroughly. The tea will directly improve the liver functionality and deal with the waste and impurities. That’s why most people who consume the tea before sleep state that they feel somewhat healthier, fresher, and even lighter. Some others state that they experience better bowel movement which becomes more regulated.
Besides the effect of better and more restful sleep, drinking green tea before bed is also said to help you with your weight loss purpose. This claim, however, still needs further studies and research although some theories have existed.
- It helps the metabolic boost. Green tea contains caffeine and caffeine is believed to stimulate the body and boost the metabolism. When you are sleeping, your body will remain inactive, which is hard to burn the calories and the fat deposit. However, when you take the green tea before bed, it is believed that the caffeine will burn the calories even though you are sleeping.
- It helps you stay slim. Thanks to the caffeine content, you don’t have to worry about fat pile up or whatsoever. But it is not advisable that you eat anything before sleeping either.
- It helps you stay calm. The natural L-theanine will calm your nerves. Not to mention that consuming warm beverage tends to make people drowsy. If you combine them all, it is no wonder if you can have a more relaxed and restful sleep.
One of the opinions that are against the green tea before bed is the claim that caffeine will make stay up all night. It is related to the green tea before bed caffeine. After all, if you avoid drinking coffee before bed, why not avoiding the caffeine from the green tea altogether? Well, the caffeine content from the coffee and the green tea is different. Somehow, the caffeine from the coffee is higher than the one in green tea. And let’s not forget that different people have different tolerance of caffeine. Some people are sensitive to caffeine while the others may not so.
The Final Conclusion
Whether consuming green tea before bed is good for you or not, it depends on your condition, really. If you don’t have any caffeine sensitivity and you feel that your condition is improved after consuming the beverage, you can always continue consuming it. After all, it is you who gain the benefit from the tea – not anyone else.
Be mindful, though, that it is always better to limit the intake. After all, it DOES contain caffeine so having a cup before bed would be a smart option. If you feel that it will benefit you, having a cup of green tea before bed sounds like a good idea to keep you calm and relaxed.
Thank for your visit in specteacular.com